The Challenger was developed in 1942 as a modification to the Cromwell by mounting a 17-pdr gun in an enlarged turret in order to take on the larger German tanks.
The hull was lengthened and an extra road wheel station fitted, but the vehicle was ungainly and had a high silhouette.
The vehicle did enjoy some success in Europe in 1944-45 mainly in the ‘Tank Destroyer’ role but it did not compare well with the 17 pdr gunned Sherman Firefly.
It went out of service shortly after WW2.
|Armament:||1 x 17pdr|
1 x .30 Browning Machine-gun
|Engine:||Rolls Royce Meteor developing 600 bhp|
|Year into service:||1942|