Unlike the Armoured Fighting vehicles of F-Echelon (fighting troops), ‘Recce Troops’ have not been in continuous service since 1936.
In the late 1960s, anti-tank-guided missiles were introduced. Initially mounted on Ferret Scout Cars they were subsequently fitted to the AFV 432 Armoured Personnel Carrier – this variant being titled ‘FV 438’.
Although not a reconnaissance vehicle, they have been included in this listing.
Based on the Morris-commercial 15cwt Platoon truck, these vehicles were issued to cavalry regiments on mechanisation for the transport of soldiers in an ill-defined scout role as ‘Mechanised Cavalry’.
The concept of using cavalry in this way was abandoned before the outbreak of war.
Daimler Scout Car (Dingo)
The Daimler Scout Car, known in service as the Daimler Dingo (after the Australian wild dog), was a British light fast four-wheel drive reconnaissance vehicle also used for liaison during the Second World War.
In all 6,626 vehicles had been produced by the end of the war.
The Dingo continued in service until replaced by Ferret in 1952.
Daimler Armoured Car
One of the finest armoured fighting vehicles of the Second World War, the Daimler Armoured Car was a rear engine vehicle with 4 wheel drive, independent suspension and a 5-speed select gear box.
The Daimler was used extensively in all theatres of war and remained in service for many years thereafter.
White Scout Car M3A1
Designed as a reconnaissance vehicle for the U.S. Army, the White Scout Car was a large open-topped vehicle powered by a 110 bhp Hercules engine that gave it a maximum speed 50 m.p.h…..
Although supplied to the UK as a scout car it was really little more than an armoured lorry.
White Half Track M3A2
Based on the scout car chassis, the half track version simply replaced the rear 2 wheels with a suspension unit and tracks.
The half track was probably one of the most useful vehicles of the war and was employed in a multitude of roles including that of armoured personnel carrier, mobile repair vehicle and self-propelled gun mount.
Built by the Chevrolet division of General Motors the majority of Staghounds were supplied to the British Army, being introduced from 1942.
Popular for its roomy interior and automatic transmission, the Staghound was nevertheless considered too large for reconnaissance work and was invariably relegated to command post and liaison duties.
South African built armoured cars on an American chassis with a 4 wheel-drive conversion supplied by Marmon Herrington of Indianapolis.
Most were initially armed with machine guns only, but many were subsequently modified by their owners to carry all manner of weapons.
The Daimler Company designed the Ferret scout car in 1949 and production ran from 1952 to 1971 with around 4,500 being built.
The two marks most used were the MK 1/1 (Turret less) and MK 2/3 (fitted with a small turret).
The Ferret was due to be replaced in the 1970s, but was retained into the 1990s as a liaison vehicle – in which capacity it saw service in the 1991 Gulf War.
Designed just after WW2 the Saracen was rushed into service so it could be used in anti-guerrilla operations in Malaya.
The Saracen had a crew of 2 (commander and driver) and had bench seats in the rear for 8 passengers.
Saracen went on to see many years’ service in Northern Ireland before being withdrawn from service in the early 1990s.
Initially the Saladin was due to be issued before the Saracen APC but the Saracen was given a higher priority so production was delayed.
The Saladin was a large, six wheeled vehicle which had an excellent cross-country performance as each wheel station had independent suspension and the vehicle could theoretically run on only 2 wheels.
FV 438 Swingfire
Based on the chassis of the FV432 Armoured Personnel Carrier the FV 438 was designed to mount the Swingfire anti-tank missile.
It carried 2 missiles on the launcher and a further 14 inside the vehicle. All could be loaded and fired from inside the vehicle.
In the late 1950s the British Army started planning for a design to succeed the then current family of Saladin, Saracen and Ferret.
At first it was hoped to provide a single vehicle- the Combat Vehicle Reconnaissance (CVR) capable of carrying out three major roles: reconnaissance, fire support and anti-tank.
This proved impractical and a complete range of vehicles was designed and produced.
Developed as part of the CVR(T) family by Avis the Scimitar is similar to the Scorpion but mounts a 30 mm Rarden cannon.
Still in service it has received various modifications such as an improved commander’s and gunner’s sighting system and a diesel engine with improved suspension but has lost its ability to “swim” as the flotation screen has been removed and extra stowage bins fitted in its place.