Built by the Chevrolet division of General Motors the majority of Staghounds were supplied to the British Army, being introduced in 1942.
The Staghound was an innovative design that incorporated some advanced features. It had two rear-facing 6-cylinder engines with automatic transmissions (with 4 forward and 1 reverse gear) feeding through a transfer case to drive both axles.
Popular for its roomy interior and automatic transmission, the Staghound was nevertheless considered too large for reconnaissance work and was invariably relegated to command post and liaison duties.
It saw most service at the squadron and regimental headquarters level; an armoured car regiment having three Staghounds with the Regimental HQ and three with each HQ of the four squadrons in the regiment.
The Staghound Mk II was a field conversion that had a 3-inch howitzer Mk 1 for close support mounted in place of the 37 mm gun in the turret. The bow machine gun was removed. It is not known how many were converted. These were issued to the Armoured Car HQ section.
The Staghound Mk III had a turret taken from an Ordnance QF 6-pounder gun-armed Crusader tank and a 7.92 mm Besa machine gun. Some of these were then re-fitted with the AEC Mk III turret with Ordnance QF 75 mm gun. There was no bow machine gun. These had reached the front line by 1945, where it was supplied to heavy troops of armoured car regiments. The total number ordered was around 100–300.
|Armament:||1 x 37mm|
2 x .30 Browning Machine-guns
|Engine:||Twin GM 6 Cylinder petrol-97 bhp each|
|Year into service:||1942|