This officer was awarded the MC for his very gallant work in carrying out a number of sea and air operations before the 2nd December, 1943.

Since that date he has attempted a further eight sea operations, six of which were successful.

Captain Harratt’s first two attempts were unsuccessful, owing to enemy intervention, and he is due great credit for attempting any operations after the failure of the first two.

On 23rd December an operation was attempted. When the M.G.B. had anchored about 350 yards off shore the coastal defences sent up flares, and almost immediately opened fire. Captain Harratt was able to withdraw his party and give instructions to withdraw to the Reception Committee on the shore.

On 14th January, 1944 an important member of the Reception Committee was arrested while transporting a radio device used to communicate from ship to shore before landing, enabling the landing party to make sure that they were not walking into a trap.

In spite of the information that the enemy must be presumed to have acquired during this operation, and the subsequent arrest of a key man, as well as the capture of the radio device, Captain Harratt attempted, a fortnight later, on the 28th January, another operation. He landed without the use of the radio device, but withdrew after twenty minutes as there was no Reception Committee present.

On 26th February Captain Harratt made another attempt, and this time was successful. This operation was carried out on a beach surrounded by high cliffs, on one of which there was a German strong point not more than 30 yards from the landing point.

Whilst on the beach arrangements were made for a series of operations to be carried out on another beach, 400 yards further to the east, to which Captain Harratt returned two nights later. Four further operations were successful on this beach during March and April.

In the course of these operations a total of 27 agents were landed in FRANCE with their stores and equipment. Furthermore, a total of 17 agents were brought back to the United Kingdom, two of whom were of the highest importance.

None of this valuable work could of been carried out if Captain Harratt had not insisted on returning on 28th February in spite of the very grave risks which it was evident that this operation entailed. He showed in the course of this, and indeed throughout all of these operations, a complete disregard of his own personal safety and the courage, determination and devotion to duty which had previously earned him the MC.

In recognition of Captain Harratt’s continued valuable services in this exceptionally dangerous work, I recommend him for the award of a bar to the MC.

Chief Administrative Officer
Supreme Headquarters Allied Expeditionary Force

Related topics

  1. A short history of The 4th Hussars