Taffy died on 2 August 2002, aged 85.

He enlisted into the 3rd Carabiniers in April 1935 and remained a 3rd Carabinier until joining the 8th King’s Royal Irish Hussars at L√ľneburg in September 1953.

He had been working on a farm in the West Country before enlistment, and his love of horses made him join the cavalry of the line. He served in India with the 3rd Carabiniers before and during the second world war. At one time he was a member of the Riding School staff.

After the war, he had the job of escorting Prisoners of War from Australia to the UK. The journey was a long and complicated one, which included long stopovers in the USA. Cliff found these stopovers most entertaining, and being a Welsh man could not resist serenading the natives.

On joining the 8th King’s Royal Hussars. Cliff initially joined ‘B’ Squadron but shortly afterwards moved to HQ Squadron with Lt O’Rorke and two other members of the Squadron to join the Reconnaissance Troop. During this time he commanded a detachment of three scout cars, which were the escort for the Commanding Officer on the March Past for the Queen’s Birthday Parade in the Stadtpark, Hamburg.

Cliff was a stalwart member of the Regimental hockey team and played a prominent part in the indoor games of the Sergeants Mess. He was also a member of the infamous Bachelors’ Club’.

He left the club in late 1954 after marrying Ivy. His new wife was accompanied by her daughter Barbara. Her other daughter was married and lived in England. In early 1955 he moved from Reconnaissance Troop to the Officers’ Mess as Mess Sergeant Major, taking over from ‘Sticky’ Glew. In the autumn of 1956, he spent a few weeks back commanding Recce Troop due to the troop leader being hospitalised.

He retired from the Army in July 1958 and moved to Cumbria where he worked as a security officer for UKAEA with Reg Scrugham. After a few years, he moved to British Steel and back to his beloved Wales. He led a full and eventful life there and became a founder member of the local social club and was treasurer for many years – he also took up bowls again.

His two daughters provided him with three grandchildren and two great-grandchildren of whom he was very proud. After he retired he stayed in Wales until Ivy died. In April 1992 he moved to the Royal Hospital Chelsea where he remained until his death.

On arrival, he quickly got involved and was Secretary of the Club. He also revitalised the bowls team, a game he was very fond of and good at.

One was always sure right up to the end of a warm welcome, and some tale or tales from the past when visiting. Cliff was very proud of his service with The 8th King’s Royal Irish Hussars, and they were very glad to have had him.

Related topics

  1. A short history of The 8th Hussars