Les died on 21 November 2002 aged 84.

Tpr L Escott
Tpr L Escott

He enlisted in February 1935 to the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry, joining the Regular Army, the 3rd King’s Own Hussars in January 1936, then stationed at Tidworth.

In January 1937 he, together with many other 3rd Hussars, was posted to the 8th King’s Royal Irish Hussars, then in Main Barracks, Abbasi, Cairo. Having just returned from duties in Palestine, the Regiment at this time was training in the desert, including the Cavalry Brigade Exercise, held in February.

In September 1938 the Regiment moved to Mersqa Matruh as part of the Matruh Mobile Force. Les took part in the Regiment’s first battle in July 1940 and the Maketila Raid in August 1940 plus other battles in the Western Desert including Bug Bug and Sidi Rezegh.

In early 1942 he moved back to the Royal Wiltshire Yeomanry until in 1944 he did a short time in the UK at the Depot before transferring to the Royal Army Veterinary Corps.

He took his release in April 1946. In civilian life, he was an HGV driver. He married Mary on 7 April 1945 in Liverpool and had two sons, Michael and Barry, two daughters, Margaret and Christine and four grandchildren of whom one, Davis, joined the Royal Engineers.

Les was chairman and then president of Crosby, Liverpool Royal British Legion, for whom he did a lot. He was a hardworking, family man.

Les was a loyal and enthusiastic member of the Regimental Association. He was a regular attendee at the majority of Regimental events held in the UK.

In his later years, he was escorted in his wheelchair by his sons Michael and Barry at the Cavalry Memorial Parade and Service and on his last appearance in May 2002, by a lady from the home he was then residing in. He always had a fund of stories and tales to tell of his time in the 8th Hussars, the service of which he was most proud. He was always cheerful and entertaining.

Related topics

  1. A short history of The 8th Hussars
  2. Timeline: Middle East (Egypt and Libya)