The 7th Queen’s Own Hussars stayed in Italy after the war for a while before moving north and ending up in June 1946 at Soltau, in northern Germany, as part of the occupying Army.
They were to spend a further year in Soltau before sailing back to Yorkshire, after twelve years abroad in December 1947.
After two years of sorting out in England, with a large change in personnel, the 7th Queen’s Own Hussars embarked on a five-year tour in Fallingbostel near Soltau before they were sent as the first Armoured Regiment in Hong Kong in 1954.
It was a quiet tour and on the boat home in August 1957, the 7th Queen’s Own Hussars found that they were to be amalgamated the following year with 3rd The King’s Own Hussars.
The last parade, as the 7th Queen’s Own Hussars, took place at Tidworth on 23rd October 1957 when HM Queen Elizabeth the Queen Mother, who was Colonel-in-Chief of the regiment, took the salute.
The amalgamation of the 7th Queen’s Own Hussars and 3rd The King’s Own Hussars took place also at Tidworth on 3rd Nov 1958, to form The Queen’s Own Hussars.