Reg died on 6 January 1998, aged 69.
He joined the 4th Queen’s Own Hussars in September 1953 when they were stationed at Hohne, having, after basic training with the 14th/20th King’s Hussars, gone on to the Shropshire Yeomanry in April 1951, where he was appointed Lance Corporal.
He and Tom Scott first met at the Shropshire Yeomanry in 1953, where they both served in HQ Squadron at Shrewsbury. Their next posting was to Hohne in Germany, where Reg worked in the QM’s Department, dealing mainly with ammunition. The families were friends throughout their service together.
At amalgamation, he was a Sergeant in the QM’s Department. In 1960 he joined ‘A’ Squadron, serving with them in Aden, Sharjah, Malaya, Sarawak and Wolfenbuttel.
He left in 1965 to be a most successful recruiter in Ulster and was highly thought of by the affiliated ACF troops. He rejoined the Regiment at Bovington as a Sergeant in Tech Troop.
In 1968 he received his LSGCM in Bovington, presented by Gen Sir John Hackett. He finished his service at the Strand recruiting office in 1972.
Reg was a loyal, hardworking ‘Irish Hussar’ with a pleasant personality, who had lots of friends. After leaving the Regiment, he started a second career with the ACF, retiring in 1993