Nobby, as he was affectionately known to all 4th Hussars died on 21 March 2003, aged 85 years.

His origins were in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire; prior to his enlistment into the RAC on 4 May 1939 when the second world war clouds were gathering he was a coal miner in the Nottinghamshire fields.

Following enlistment, he underwent training at the 51st Training Regiment RAC where he excelled at gunnery. Shortly after he achieved a first class pass at the AFV Gunnery School. Roughly two years later he sailed through an instructor’s course at the RAC Gunnery School in the Middle East.

Nobby served with various RAC units in the Middle East and North Africa from September 1941 to September 1945. Following some well-earned leave he was transferred to Class B Reserve in April 1946 holding the rank of WS/Sergeant.

On 28 July 1947 he was recalled to the Colours and saw service at the RAC Depot until 6 February 1948 when he joined The 4th Hussars then at Colchester.

In August 1948 he moved with his Regiment to Malaya where he saw service in the jungle of that country. On 1 June 1949 he was moved to the New Territories and Hong Kong; 4th Hussars had to base one squadron there. ‘C’ Squadron was the first followed by ‘A’ Squadron and finally ‘B’ Squadron. Nobby stayed at Hong Kong until 18 September 1951 when he moved to Singapore where The 4th Hussars were in transit prior to embarking on HMT Windrush for the journey to the UK.

After disembarkation leave The 4th Hussars congregated at Tidworth with a sabre squadron at Warminster and a further sabre squadron at Castlemartin. After about 18 months the Regiment was posted to BAOR (Hohne). Nobby remained until August 1958 when he returned to the UK to take up an appointment at the D and M School.

His service ended on 15 August 1962. He had held the rank of WO2 (SSM) from 1 October 1955.

Despite his mature years Nobby regularly turned out and played soccer for the Regimental first team.

Related topics

  1. A short history of The 4th Hussars
  2. Malaya 1948-51