Larry, as he was known to his friends, had a long, successful and happy career. Enlisting into the Cavalry of the Line, Regular Army, in 1929, he then served six years with the Queen’s Bays.
He left the Army for two years but could not stay away, reenlisting into the 8th King’s Royal Irish Hussars, with whom he served in Egypt and in the desert with the 8th Army from 1938 to 1943, and then in North-West Europe from D+3 in 1944 until 1947.
By way of contrast, he then served very successfully for a few years as a Permanent Staff Instructor to the Yorkshire Hussars TA at York and Middlesbrough. He often talked of these years as the happiest of his long service.
Returning to the 8th Hussars in time for the Korean campaign, he finally retired in 1957, being the holder of, in addition to his many campaign medals, the Long Service and Good Conduct Medal.
He was for twelve years the verger at St Martin’s Garrison Church.